Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Redeeming Love


If you’ve ever wondered

Why an intelligent woman
would ever choose to sell herself


AND

Why she would continue doing it
when she could 'easily' choose freedom…


OR

If you just need a good book recommendation…

...you may want to read Redeeming Love. This is my all time favorite book. I have bought it for friends more times that I can count. I even led a Bible study on it once. Right now I’m reading it for the 3rd or 4th time, and I am loving it. It is so, so good. It’s not fun subject matter but it’s dear to my heart and it inspires me to go and find GOLD. Guess what it’s about? Yep, you guessed it.

The book is an incredible study on why and how women live in this lifestyle…and why it is so difficult for them to leave it. I’ve heard it said that

it’s ‘easy’ to get a woman out of a brothel--
the hard part is keeping her from returning back to it.

Redeeming Love gives us a clearer understanding of the whys and truly teaches us to have compassion toward these dear women by making it all 'come to life' in the form of a novel. A riveting, you finish-it-in-3-days type of novel. It's a fast, easy and interesting read.

It’s actually a re-told story of the book of Hosea in the Old Testament where God tells a man, Hosea, to marry an adulterous woman (which symbolizes His people, Israel).

On many different levels, I think it's an incredible book. Let me know if you read it and what you think.

Also, I have to tell you that I wrote the author, Francine Rivers, an email one time in 2006 when we were coming to visit Hamburg, asking her if she had any German versions of the book or of any other of her novels (her Mark of the Lion Trilogy is historical fiction and is equally powerful yet in a completely different way) that I could take with me for the women. A few weeks later a big box arrived with a bunch of German translations. All on her dime. How awesome is that?!

I contacted her about a month ago and told her about how we're here full-time now and if she had any German or English copies of Redeeming Love to donate or that I could buy at a reduced rate that I could give to certain women in the brothels that I think would be ready for it. She wrote back and said she doesn't have any more German copies (probably because she sent them all to me in 2006!) and that any overflow she already gives to someone who forwards them onto missionaries. But she had a great idea--she said to see if anyone may want to buy copies and then donate them to the women. So if you read it and love it, and want to pass on your copy, or buy a new one for one of our women, let me know!

***postscript: a friend emailed me with the great idea of having anyone interested in donating this book to the women here to have them buy it thru amazon.de, which is amazon, germany, in order to save shipping costs from the u.s. read the end of this post to get more info...

8 comments:

Amy Prikazsky said...

This is seriously one of my favorite books! I love it. I read it so fast because I could not put it down…even my husband read it! I hope you have a great Tuesday!

partialemptynester said...

Definitely one of my favorite books ever! Love, love, love it! Loved the Mark of the Lion Trilogy as well! Francine Rivers is such a gifted writer! I appreciate her even more now that I know how personal she is to her readers, what a precious thing she did for you!

Aubrey Byers said...

Krista! This is my favorite book ever! I just re-read it and I find that it gets so much more inspirational every time! I am so happy to hear that you got German copies from Francine Rivers! I think that this book actually gave me a passion for women who are being held this way. I look forward to your next update!

-Aubrey

P.S. I love Mark of the Lion as well. If you ever have any book recommendations please send them my way! :)

If you ever need to reach me you can do so by e-mail: glowingirl93@yahoo.com

Angelica Bays, TygrLilies.blogspot.com said...

FABULOUS!
Facebook Share material for sure!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Krista,
could you perhaps share the title of the german version of the book? So us german readers would know what to look for on this side of the ocean? :-)

Anonymous said...

Is it "Die Liebe ist stark"?

a new beginning said...

Yes, in German it's Die Liebe Ist Stark. You can purchase in on Amazon.de
If you type in her name on Amazon, her Trilogy is also available in German that I highly recommend! The 1st is called Hadassa, then Rapha, then Atretes. Powerful!

Anonymous said...

Dear Krista,
Hi! I just reread Redeeming Love this past week. Thank you so very much for sending it to me! I cannot remember the exact date of when it arrived but I VIVIDLY remember the day it did. Two hours before I checked my mail that day, I had finished my Quiet Time while studying Beth Moore's study on the Psalms of Ascent by praying over Psalm 130 verse 7, "O Israel, put your hope in the LORD, for with the LORD is unfailing love and with Him is full redemption." I remember crying out to God that I did not understand this and I certainly wasn't "feeling" His "unfailing love and full redemption" in my own walk with Him...and He answered my plea 2 HOURS later by placing Redeeming Love (from YOU!) in my mailbox!!!!!! Thank you for listening to His Voice!!!! I think this was sometime last winter, maybe in February or early March? I remember being so delighted and surprised to hear from you, we had met in April 2008 in Lanai, the year before. Greg sends me your updates but the latest update led me to this site. Thank you for sharing your ministry updates! They are always so amazing and truly bring glory to God. I am so blessed by our sisterhood in Christ!
With much love and thanks,
Jenn Terry